"Page not found" 404 errors after logging into Gitorious site
Aaron Hicks
2010-02-08 03:11:59 UTC
Hello the list,

I've set up Gitorous on an Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64 server virtual machine
according to the Christian's excellent procedures
http://cjohansen.no/en/ruby/setting_up_gitorious_on_your_own_server

I used Ruby 1.8 from apt-get, installed libmagick9-dev instead of
libmagickwand-dev, and substituted my server's domain name where
appropriate.

I've set up gitorious sites on Apache2 for ports 80 and 443. I
cutpasted the vhost script and changed the port from *:80 to *:443 and
added:

SSLEngine on
SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
BrowserMatch ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

The gitorious site runs and is accessible as the default root site for
the server, as expected.

I can login with the credentials I set up, but once I've logged in I
only ever get a 404 "Page not found" error. This is for all pages, not
just the home page or user page.

There are no reported errors in /var/log/apache2 or in the gitorious
or mysql logfiles (Except for an expected one about "[warn] RSA server
certificate CommonName (CN) does NOT match server name!" as I've not
done certificates 'properly', but I am suspicious)

Have I missed some permission setting (e.g. does www-data need to be a
member of the gitorious group, or is that ok?)

In the interim I've disabled SSL by adding
SslRequirement.disable_ssl_check = true to the end of production.rb so
it's not likely to be SSL.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Regards,

Aaron Hicks
Christian Johansen
2010-02-08 19:18:04 UTC
Hi Aaron,

Glad you liked the instructions. Unfortunately, most people seem to run into
some issue when following it, so it probably needs cleaning up to be even
clearer.

What kind of 404 are you getting? The Apache one, or the one from
Gitorious/Rails? Also, what URL? If the 404 is coming from Rails, did you
check the Rails logs (siet/log/production.log)?

Best,
Christian
Aaron Hicks
2010-02-08 19:51:01 UTC
I think it's the Gitorious/Rails 404. Still has the gitorious header
and Home link. I've switched it to a 'public' site and i get a lot of
links in the page body before I log on, but they go after login and it
reverts to just showing the Gitorious/Rails 404 page.

production.log repeatedly reports:

** ultrasphinx: spelling support not available (raspell configuration
raised "uninitialized constant Ultrasphinx::Spell::Aspell")

git-daemon.log reports:
2010-02-07 06:58:31 [3639] Listening on 0.0.0.0:9418...
2010-02-09 06:45:20 [3639] Received TERM, exiting..
2010-02-09 06:45:24 [1325] Listening on 0.0.0.0:9418...

and message_processing.log is empty.
Christian Johansen
2010-02-08 19:58:05 UTC
Post by Aaron Hicks
I think it's the Gitorious/Rails 404. Still has the gitorious header
and Home link. I've switched it to a 'public' site and i get a lot of
links in the page body before I log on, but they go after login and it
reverts to just showing the Gitorious/Rails 404 page.
** ultrasphinx: spelling support not available (raspell configuration
raised "uninitialized constant Ultrasphinx::Spell::Aspell")
2010-02-07 06:58:31 [3639] Listening on 0.0.0.0:9418...
2010-02-09 06:45:20 [3639] Received TERM, exiting..
2010-02-09 06:45:24 [1325] Listening on 0.0.0.0:9418...
and message_processing.log is empty.
What host name are you using to access the site? As was discovered on the
mailing list a while back, Gitorious is unable to set cookies for host names
without a dot (per specs). If you are using localhost or the like you will
need to set a host name such as "gitorious.here" or similar.

If this doesn't solve your trouble, try starting Gitorious in development
mode and watch development.log. To start Gitorious in dev mode using
Apache/Passenger, add the RailsEnv directive, i.e., RailsEnv development

Also, when logged in and you get the 404 - what happens if you go back to
the root URL? Asked to log in again? If so, I would suspect cookie issues.

Christian
Aaron Hicks
2010-02-08 20:05:40 UTC
Hi Christian,

It's using a qualified domain name provided by our corporate DNS, something like

git.companyname.co.nz

I've not configured any other rails environment, just production, will
I need to sort that out before switching to RailEnv development?

Clicking on the home link once logged in still gives the 404 page,
deleting the cookies for the site logs me out and returns me to the
normal home page.
Thomas Schamm
2010-02-08 20:02:29 UTC
This is curious, since today, my server has also these strange 404 errors, but only when accessing the user's dashboard. Other pages like activities/projects etc is working perfect.

No errors or warnings found in the apache log nor in the production log. My gitorious installation is running for over a year now and I'm running under suburi deployment.

Any ideas here, too?

Thomas
Aaron Hicks
2010-02-08 20:12:22 UTC
manually entering the URL for the sub pages gives me the same 404,

Hmm http://git.landcareresearch.co.nz/activities gives me "We're
sorry, but something went wrong." and messages in production.log

ActionView::TemplateError (user_url failed to generate from
{:controller=>"users", :action=>"show", :id=>#<User id: 1, login:
"Aaron Hicks", email: "somenameATlandcareresearch.co.nz",
crypted_password:
"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",
created_at: "2010-01-19 22:18:41", updated_at: "2010-01-19 22:20:55",
remember_token: nil, remember_token_expires_at: nil, activation_code:
nil, activated_at: "2010-01-19 22:20:55", ssh_key_id: nil, fullname:
nil, url: nil, identity_url: nil, is_admin: true, suspended_at: nil,
aasm_state: "terms_accepted", public_email: true,
wants_email_notifications: true, password_key: nil, avatar_file_name:
nil, avatar_content_type: nil, avatar_file_size: nil,
avatar_updated_at: nil>}, expected: {:controller=>"users",
:action=>"show"}, diff: {:id=>#<User id: 1, login: "Aaron Hicks",
email: "somenameATlandcareresearch.co.nz", crypted_password:
"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",
created_at: "2010-01-19 22:18:41", updated_at: "2010-01-19 22:20:55",
remember_token: nil, remember_token_expires_at: nil, activation_code:
nil, activated_at: "2010-01-19 22:20:55", ssh_key_id: nil, fullname:
nil, url: nil, identity_url: nil, is_admin: true, suspended_at: nil,
aasm_state: "terms_accepted", public_email: true,
wants_email_notifications: true, password_key: nil, avatar_file_name:
nil, avatar_content_type: nil, avatar_file_size: nil,
avatar_updated_at: nil>}) on line #26 of
app/views/layouts/_login_logout.html.erb:
23:
24: <li class="secondary"><%= link_to "Your dashboard",
dashboard_path -%></li>
25: <li class="secondary">
26: <%= link_to h(current_user.to_param_with_prefix),
user_path(current_user) -%>
27: </li>
28: <li class="secondary messages">
29: <% if current_user.received_messages.unread_count > 0 -%>

vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/routing/route_set.rb:426:in
`raise_named_route_error'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/routing/route_set.rb:387:in
`generate_without_filtering'
vendor/plugins/routing-filter/lib/routing_filter.rb:64:in `generate'
lib/route_filters/repository_owner_namespacing.rb:77:in `around_generate'
vendor/plugins/routing-filter/lib/routing_filter/base.rb:12:in `send'
vendor/plugins/routing-filter/lib/routing_filter/base.rb:12:in `run'
vendor/plugins/routing-filter/lib/routing_filter.rb:12:in `run'
vendor/plugins/routing-filter/lib/routing_filter.rb:64:in `generate'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/url_rewriter.rb:205:in
`rewrite_path'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/url_rewriter.rb:184:in
`rewrite_url'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/url_rewriter.rb:162:in
`rewrite_without_secure_option'
vendor/plugins/ssl_requirement/lib/url_rewriter.rb:23:in `rewrite'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:634:in `url_for'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/helpers/url_helper.rb:85:in `send'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/helpers/url_helper.rb:85:in
`url_for'
(eval):16:in `user_path'
app/views/layouts/_login_logout.html.erb:26
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/renderable.rb:34:in `send'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/renderable.rb:34:in `render'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/base.rb:306:in `with_template'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/renderable.rb:30:in `render'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/renderable_partial.rb:20:in `render'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:30:in
`benchmark'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/renderable_partial.rb:19:in `render'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/template.rb:205:in `render_template'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/renderable_partial.rb:44:in
`render_partial'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/partials.rb:184:in `render_partial'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/base.rb:276:in `render'
app/views/layouts/application.html.erb:55
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/renderable.rb:34:in `send'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/renderable.rb:34:in `render'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/base.rb:306:in `with_template'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/renderable.rb:30:in `render'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/template.rb:205:in `render_template'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/base.rb:265:in `render'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/base.rb:352:in `_render_with_layout'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/base.rb:262:in `render'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:1250:in
`render_for_file'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:945:in
`render_without_benchmark'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:51:in `render'
vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/benchmark.rb:17:in
`ms'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/benchmark.rb:308:in `realtime'
vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/benchmark.rb:17:in
`ms'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:51:in `render'
app/controllers/site_controller.rb:73:in `render_public_timeline'
app/controllers/site_controller.rb:38:in `public_timeline'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:1331:in `send'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:1331:in
`perform_action_without_filters'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:617:in
`call_filters'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:610:in
`perform_action_without_benchmark'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:68:in
`perform_action_without_rescue'
vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/benchmark.rb:17:in
`ms'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/benchmark.rb:308:in `realtime'
vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/benchmark.rb:17:in
`ms'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:68:in
`perform_action_without_rescue'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/rescue.rb:160:in
`perform_action_without_flash'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/flash.rb:146:in
`perform_action'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:532:in `send'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:532:in
`process_without_filters'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:606:in `process'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:391:in `process'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:386:in `call'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/routing/route_set.rb:437:in
`call'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/dispatcher.rb:87:in `dispatch'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/dispatcher.rb:121:in `_call'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/dispatcher.rb:130:in
`build_middleware_stack'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/string_coercion.rb:25:in
`call'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/string_coercion.rb:25:in
`call'
rack (1.0.1) lib/rack/head.rb:9:in `call'
rack (1.0.1) lib/rack/methodoverride.rb:24:in `call'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/params_parser.rb:15:in `call'
vendor/rails/railties/lib/rails/rack/metal.rb:47:in `call'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/session/abstract_store.rb:122:in
`call'
vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/query_cache.rb:29:in `call'
vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/query_cache.rb:34:in
`cache'
vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/query_cache.rb:9:in `cache'
vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/query_cache.rb:28:in `call'
vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:361:in
`call'
vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/cache/strategy/local_cache.rb:24:in
`call'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/failsafe.rb:26:in `call'
rack (1.0.1) lib/rack/lock.rb:11:in `call'
rack (1.0.1) lib/rack/lock.rb:11:in `synchronize'
rack (1.0.1) lib/rack/lock.rb:11:in `call'
vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/dispatcher.rb:106:in `call'
passenger (2.2.9)
lib/phusion_passenger/rack/request_handler.rb:92:in `process_request'
passenger (2.2.9)
lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_request_handler.rb:207:in `main_loop'
passenger (2.2.9)
lib/phusion_passenger/railz/application_spawner.rb:400:in
`start_request_handler'
passenger (2.2.9)
lib/phusion_passenger/railz/application_spawner.rb:351:in
`handle_spawn_application'
passenger (2.2.9) lib/phusion_passenger/utils.rb:184:in `safe_fork'
passenger (2.2.9)
lib/phusion_passenger/railz/application_spawner.rb:349:in
`handle_spawn_application'
passenger (2.2.9) lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:352:in `__send__'
passenger (2.2.9) lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:352:in
`main_loop'
passenger (2.2.9) lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:196:in
`start_synchronously'
passenger (2.2.9) lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:163:in `start'
passenger (2.2.9)
lib/phusion_passenger/railz/application_spawner.rb:209:in `start'
passenger (2.2.9) lib/phusion_passenger/spawn_manager.rb:262:in
`spawn_rails_application'
passenger (2.2.9)
lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server_collection.rb:126:in
`lookup_or_add'
passenger (2.2.9) lib/phusion_passenger/spawn_manager.rb:256:in
`spawn_rails_application'
passenger (2.2.9)
lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server_collection.rb:80:in
`synchronize'
passenger (2.2.9)
lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server_collection.rb:79:in
`synchronize'
passenger (2.2.9) lib/phusion_passenger/spawn_manager.rb:255:in
`spawn_rails_application'
passenger (2.2.9) lib/phusion_passenger/spawn_manager.rb:154:in
`spawn_application'
passenger (2.2.9) lib/phusion_passenger/spawn_manager.rb:287:in
`handle_spawn_application'
passenger (2.2.9) lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:352:in `__send__'
passenger (2.2.9) lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:352:in
`main_loop'
passenger (2.2.9) lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:196:in
`start_synchronously'
passenger (2.2.9) bin/passenger-spawn-server:61

Some manual mangling of addresses and pasword hashes has occured.
Aaron Hicks
Aaron Hicks
2010-02-08 20:42:05 UTC
um, could it be something as silly as having a space in login:"Aaron
Hicks" or a lot of those values being nil?

...and now I think about it I might have jumped the mongrel 'load up
your key' bit...
Aaron Hicks

Aaron Hicks